Since 1943, The Friends of the University of Alberta have engaged in activities that help build a strong relationship between the university and the broader community.
Membership in The Friends of the University of Alberta is open to anyone who has the welfare of the university at heart and is anxious to assist the university in achieving its goals.
Meet the Executive
Luca Vanzella, President
Ken Regan, Vice President
Andrea Sulyma, Secretary
Nazir Mulji, Treasurer
Contact the board: by email.
- Provide a connection to the University for members of the community.
- Act as advocates for the University within the community.
- Facilitate educational engagement and a sense of lifelong learning among our members.
- Provide information about volunteer opportunities at the University.
- We present the annual Henry Marshall Tory Lectures, free public lectures named after the University’s first president.
- We present Raise the Bar – a series of public talks designed to provide engaging learning opportunities that connect the University to the broader community.
- We provide scholarships and awards for students in need and for meritorious students.
- We support U School – a program run by the University of Alberta Senate that introduces and connects students to the University of Alberta.
- We support HUM 101 – a program run by the Faculty of Arts that introduces and connects adult learners to the University of Alberta.
Our Strategic Plan
Our Strategic Plan describes our priorities, key results and strategies that guide how the Friends operate and support the University.
While the Friends of the University of Alberta gratefully accepts donations, we do not solicit members for funding. The Friends of the University of Alberta does not accept unsolicited requests for funding.
Charitable Donation Portals
The Friends are listed on the following donation portals:
The Friends of the University of Alberta Society is a registered society in Alberta and a registered charity in Canada (Registration no.: 889893772).
The University of Alberta logo is used with permission.